In the long run, you might feel the need to give out your car as gifts to a family member. But this means you have to transfer the car title as well.
Luckily, how to transfer a car title to a family member does not require a lot of process. However, It’s might be quite difficult if you don’t know the rudiments of the transfer. Hence, we’ll want to enlighten you on how to transfer a car title to a family member with ease.
Car Title: What Is It and What Is Required For a Transfer?
Any document that indicates the legal owner of a vehicle is known as the car title. You must have it so that you can pass the usual checkpoint stop. And as such, you should ensure that all information on is right and updated.
How to Transfer a Car Title to Someone
To transfer a car title, you also need to alter some details of the official possessor. The main requirement for a transfer of car title is changing the name of the owner. The owner has to change the name from an agency of car records in the state, and then successfully transfer a car title.
There are two groups involved in the transfer of a car title. The person transferring and the family member the possessor is assigning it to. It could also be a buying party or the selling party.
Transferring Car Titles in California
The California Department for transfer of vehicles stipulates that for a car transfer to a family member, they have to be in a category. The category includes legally renowned partners, legitimate children, grandparents, in-laws, grandchildren, brothers, and sisters.
The family member must be within the group listed above to facilitate a seamless transfer in this category. It’s a good thing to gift out your car as a goodwill favor to a relative by bequeathing it or donating it. But endeavor to meet the required measures to make the process a smooth one.
Requirement Needed for the Benefactor
There are certain things you should do when you are the benefactor in a car title transfer. The first thing you need to do is to notify the agency in charge of such ownership change processes. In this case, the agency involve should be alerted by turning in a release of liability form through any of these means
- You can submit an online transfer notice and statement of liability form. You don’t need to ask,can you transfer a car title online? Yes, you can send it in as an email to the address on the original car title document. The form has to be a completed report indicating the transfer.
- The form has to indicate the name of the person you want to transfer the car.
- The giver should ensure that they sign the car title by any leaseholder party or lending institutions that have the car in their registry. This step is crucial in the case that the vehicle has any debt on it so that they notify the recipient.
- Sometimes this paper might have been stolen or misplaced, but there is another option. All you have to do is to apply for another REG227 form, which is the transfer of title form. Furthermore, you can also get the renowned REG 166 form for the release of titleholder to confirm any lien discharge.
- The REG 227 form (Replica or transfer of title) needs the signature of both the receiver and the giver to be authentic.
- In the case that the car is not up to ten years of age, you need to add the reading of the odometer. If there is no column provided, then you should fill a car title form for reassignment that is the REG262 form.
It is vital you request and adequately fill the substitute title form in the absence of the original title, especially if the vehicle is two models older. And there won’t be any use of a smoke certification if the automobile is not diesel-powered.
Things the Receiver Should Do
The receiver of the car transfer also needs to do to legitimize the car title transfer process. For instance, the vehicle title should have been in your name within ten days from the time of the transfer.
Take the manuscripts given to you by the former owner to the state’s DMV to register them properly. There are other necessary paper you should read to help for a smooth procedure; they include:
- A duly signed fact statement certification (REG 256) to exonerate you from any incurred tax and smoke certification.
- You should ensure not to go cashless in case you need to pay any dues that will facilitate the car title transfer. However, there won’t be tax payment since the car was gifted to you.
If you meet the above prerequisites, you will be leaving the office as a legal car owner.
Requirements for a Car Title Transfer in DMV California
The department of motor vehicles in California stipulates that any car you want to transfer must have cleared the smoke certification test. Unless you made an exemption, in this case, the transfer must be to a family member. However, you must have submitted your tax clearance form.
The beneficiary should take the required documents to the DMV office and pay the $15 title transfer due to make the change.
The Requirement for a Car Title Transfer In DMV Mexico
For a successful car title transfer in Mexico, the DMV requires you to submit the odometer reading. Also, you may need to make available the smog certification to confirm the car is checked for smoke emissions.
You should also provide your evidence of ownership and the vehicle’s insurance papers, if there is any. The new owner needs to be present at the time of the transfer.