There is no doubt that tuning a car enhances its appearance, operation, and potential extensively. With that in mind, you’ll undoubtedly seek to know how to tune a car for performance?
Since there are not many professionals in the area, I’ll advise that you get the car tuning for beginners’ manual for guidance. But if don’t have one or can’t find it, we are here to provide you a great guide on how to tune a car.
What is Car Tuning?
Car tuning is when you improve the features of your car way above standard. Tuning your car entails that you twitch the specifications of the vehicle to your taste. It could be for any reason like racing in the tracks; you’ll have to improve the car’s momentum and handling.
Steps on How to Tune a Car
Here is a procedure through which you can tune your vehicle for any purpose
Step 1: Regularly Maintain your Car
Why try to transform your vehicle into an instant flashy automobile, when you can make it better with regular maintenance? There is a reason why you have a vehicle maintenance calendar, and it will do you and your car much good to follow it religiously.
You want to ensure that you’re secure in your car, so once in three to six months, visit the service shop. It won’t take a minute for your reliable repair person to run an extensive check on your car to do any of the following:
- Changing damaged filters (air and filter)
- Checking the liquids’ (oil and water) state and condition
- Clearing the intake system.
Step 2: Reduce your Car Weight
It’s an incredibly lovely experience when you drive a car that is as light as a feather. Only then will you enjoy the speed and engine to the fullest. You reduce weight by:
- Taking out the massive sound systems and speakers
- Install lighter wheels
- Remove the passenger seats if you are a racer
Step 3: Improve your Engine
The car engine is a complicated system that must remain in the best condition with all its parts to warrant the best performance. If you plan to race your car on the tracks, you need to condition your engine for added pressure.
There are not many kinds of engines in the car industry, like the fuel injection engine, turbo, and carburetor engines. And these engines are distinctive in the areas of time of spark and fuel rendition. Few areas you should improve for your engine include
- Putting a new oil filter once in a while like after every three thousand miles, to help keep the engine lubricated.
- Change the spark plugs also if need be, and replace the cables. Also, ensure that the spark plugs have the moderate heat range of the vehicle.
- Change the rotor with the distributor lid if necessary. The reason is that they wear off with use and are vital for the distribution of power.
- Fix the car’s ECU; you should know how to tune a car ECU to be able to unshackle the highest power capacities of your vehicle.
- Your manual may tell you that car tuning cuts back the durability of a car engine; however, this is not true if your tuning prowess is top-notch. That’s why you should try to be moderate with every tuning effect.
Step 4: Regulate your Wheels and Brake Pressure
It would be best if you regulate the pressures on both your wheels and the brakes to avoid losing traction. Also, do not oversteer and understeer, which involves slow turning and quick turning. Some of the things that require regulation include:
- Wheel Pressure: When you regulate the wheel pressure, you can improve their performance , thus reducing over and understeering. However, the wheels that need this regulation is the front one and not all of them. You should know the level you’re adjusting it to, and it shouldn’t be too high or too low.
- Brake Pressure: When you adjust this, it changes the way your brake functions when it’s loaded. Typically, you lock up the brakes in a bend when you drive with an antilock brake system (ABS). If you regulate the total pressure, you reduce the tendency of a lock, but the distance before a stop increases.
- Traction Control: It’s effortless; the more the percentage, the better your traction control. Adjusting the rate of traction control is good, but an excess of it is bad in unpleasant climatic situations. With that said, 10% is not bad at all except you want added influence, in which case you can either increase or decrease the handling.
Step 5: Renew your Wheels and Rims
Car wheels are vital than people seem to understand. Replacing your old wheels with new ones once in a while is a very cheap way of improving the functionality of your vehicle. With upgraded wheels, you have increased chances of higher speed and better traction control, channeling more power to the road. Make your rims to be lighter for more speed; aluminum or steel is heavy.
Step 6: Adjust the Vehicle’s Suspension
Tuning the vehicle’s suspension is no new tuning tactics to car experts and owners. Increasing or decreasing your car’s suspension could present you with many benefits that could be seen from.
The Spring Rate
This affects the stiffness or softness of your wheels and ridings. By stiffening the suspension, the vehicle reacts better to steering commands but will go off traction if it’s excessive. Going through the rough terrain will be easier if it’s soft, but too much softness is bad as your vehicle will roll off easily.
The Ride Height
Tuning your car ride height can improve the handling of your car. It makes your car more stable on the ground as a result of a lower center of gravity by reducing the ride height. Be careful not to reduce it too much so that you don’t damage the components beneath the car.
You improve the handling and braking by decreasing it, but your traction on the back tires will be lost. However, your traction will improve if you lower the rear edge, but you risk damaging your handling, so it’s better to adjust either the front or backside.
You keep your car on track when turning with the sway bars. It helps control the car’s cornering abilities while keeping the wheels stiff enough not to roll off the track. So by regulating the position of the sway bars, you either stiffen or soften the bars that control the handling and traction.
Stiffening the bars entails good swerve in bends, but excessive stiffening causes loss of tack grips, which can bring up issues. Softened bars are suitable for rough terrains that come with numerous curves as it enhances the handling. You should also need stiffened bars for tracks with straight paths.
Step 7: Replacing the Alignment
When you finish with the suspension, the next thing your car needs is a fresh alignment. It would be best if you did not overemphasize the need for a new alignment. The reason is that once you change the ride height, you reset all settings. You might want to take your vehicle to an auto repair shop to get your alignments in place.
Learning how to tune a car engine for performance will improve not just the handling but also the speed and overall operation of the car. It’s very vital to tune a car before a drag racing game to improve the chances of winning a dollar. But it’s essential not to over tune the components to prevent the incidence of problems.
You can always come to us in the comment section with your questions and suggestions. However, always keep in mind to
- Shed enough weight from the car to enhance speed
- Employ a regular maintenance schedule
- Update the car wheels, rims, and brake pads.